has a Pioneer Cemetery
The Schroeder Cemetery is an abandoned burying ground on Highway 72, west
of Randall Road and on the west side of Dundee Middle School.
The one acre burying ground has 25-30 mature oak and hickory trees with an
Osage Orange tree in the front right corner of the property. Last summer the
people in the office complex across the street watched a pair of hawks who
appeared to have a nest on one of the trees. Research tells us that the
burying ground has never been tilled. From 1868-1890 Fred Schroeder owned
the farm which surrounded the burying ground on three sides. We feel that
the name for the cemetery evolved from the association.
On February 26, 1845, Isaac and Sarah George deeded one acre of their farm
in Section 19, Dundee Township, to 21 people for the purpose of a “burying
ground” and “none other”. In 1901 the sons of Stanley Sherman, one of the
original purchasers, sold the cemetery to John Fierke in a Quit Claim Deed.
We have found no evidence that the Sherman sons had authority to sell the
whole cemetery since Stanley Sherman had only a partial ownership in the
cemetery. All subsequent deeds evolved from the 1901 deed.
Research has determined that the twenty two lot owners settled in Kane
County during the late 1830’s and early 1840’s from three place: nine
families came from southern Franklin County, Vermont; eight families came
from Berkshire County, Massachusetts; and four families came from Scotland.
They fled barren, sometimes mountainous land, to reach the flat, rich farm
land of Kane County, Illinois. The United States government provided the
final incentive – inexpensive land patents.
The families were more than neighbors. Eleven first generations, inter
family marriages occurred among the twenty two lot owner families. Eight of
the men traveled to Chicago in March 10, 1843, to purchase their land
patents from the Government Land Office for $1.25 per acre. Fourteen
families owned land which surrounded the cemetery. Official documents show
that these families cleared their land together, traded with each other,
witnessed legal documents for each other, and buried their dead together.
These lots owners were the pioneers of western Dundee and eastern Rutland
townships and in some instances, their fathers and grandfathers fought in
the Revolutionary War to create this country. They cleared this untilled
land, married, and raised their families. They are the heart and soul of
Cemetery Lot Owners
Samuel B. Knott
Horace A. Barber
Johnson M. Peyton
William S. Bradley
Chauncey Cochran John
Isaac & Sarah
George William Rankin
Gilbert Rev. Marshall Sherman
Linda Elder and Jane Smith from the
Kane County Genealogical Society presented the above information at the
Dundee Township Historical Society Annual Meeting 2009. Please contact
Linda Elder at 847-695-5893 if you have information on these families or